This weekend my two law school BFFs and their husbands reunited for a surprise of epic proportions. It was one of their birthdays. Three of us teamed up with her husband to claim that none of us could make it for one of her favorite days of the year on a super special birthday (30!).
I don’t know how we kept it a secret. I don’t know how her husband covered for us so many times so that she wouldn’t find out. I don’t know how my drive went smoothly, their flight went smooth, and save for missing an exit on the freeway, the arrival at the bar went smoothly. I have no answers for the amazingness of it all.
All I know is that the look on her face when she realized “those are my people” sitting in the corner of a bar, will forever be a priceless memory in my mind.
And so, I wanted to discuss a few things I should never take for granted (in no particular order).
- The amazing friends you can make in hellish situations (like law school).
- The fierce and protective loyalty that four close friends can bring out.
- Learning things from good friends like how to make a lot of decorations that bring your party from “birthday” to “it looks like I hired a party planner.”
- Friends who have stood by my side through bad relationships, silly decisions, family drama, and general law school emotional breakdowns – and taught me what everlasting friendships, healthy marriages and getting ready for an event look like.
- Making good use of time – like doing my nails while I wait in the cell phone parking lot of the PDX airport.
- Ordering three beverages at the Nordstrom e-bar before a shopping session with two gals I really, really missed.
- Early morning conversations in our pajamas.
- Party setups that come together 30 minutes early.
- Delicious drink concoctions that combine homemade simple syrup, vodka and champagne.
- Driving in the rain – while it can be scary, it is also so refreshing and peaceful. It also requires a lot of attention so I don’t get panic attacks.
- Laughter and smiles.
- Shots of Goldschlager (let’s be real).
- Knowing that no matter what I do or say, these people know exactly where I’m coming from.
- Staying up way too late to catch up.
- Friends who will pull out their camera to capture a million memories.
- Forever 21 and its copious amounts of flashy clothes to fit the theme of a Golden birthday.
- Hugs goodbye, that every.single.time bring me to tears – with friends who stop that hot mess fast, before I start ugly crying in front of the whole world.
|I don’t think there is any other group of people who I am so comfortable around that I laugh like this.|
I tell them all the time, but I’m pretty sure they still don’t know, how much these four people mean to me. <3