The Day Before the Bar Exam

Bar Exam #2, Lawyering

The bar exam is tomorrow.

I’ll let that sink in…. tomorrow.

All the months of studying (I started early – December 3rd), all the weekends spent at coffee shops, all the nights after work, trapped in my office while I listened to lectures with the door closed…

bar exam

For better or for worst, it’s ending today. I decided to cut myself off at 4:00 today. No more studying past that point. My plan was to study hard with minimal breaks until then, but that hasn’t happened. My bosses gave me last Friday and this week off. So I have had my head buried in my outlines and practice essay book since Thursday Night with pretty standard breaks for snacks, lunch, a nap and dinner and one especially spoiled bit of time where I got a massage, facial and manicure <3. I think I’m just tired.

I’m sure you guys are ready to hear about other parts of my life (you all seem pretty interested in my landlord ;) …) and not be subjected to the bar-exam-crazy that has taken over all aspects of my life, including Twitter and Instagram.

I’m ready for that too.

For now, I’m going to review my Professional Rresponsibility (graded separately in WA, and takes place on Thursday) and Property (an average of 2-3 essays PER bar exam) outlines. Then I’m going to go home and do all kinds of things I haven’t been able to do since I moved in, like sweep, maybe unpack a little, sit in silence. Who knows. But at 4:00 I’m letting go and trusting that God brought me here for a reason, I’ve used my time as wisely as possible, and that it IS possible to pass the bar exam when you’re working full time.

Oh, and someone please feel free to remind me at any point over the next three days that I CAN survive the bar exam. Not only can I do it now, but I already SURVIVED it in Nevada. I keep forgetting that.

Melissa
    February 25, 2013 at 2:58 pm

You can survive it! I took a second bar too- and I remembered feeling so scared but I actually felt better DURING the exam because the fear factor was gone- I knew what to expect. It will fly by faster then you expect and then it will be OVER and you wil never have to take another bar exam again. Good luck!

February 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I don’t think I knew that, Melissa! Thanks! I hope the fear being gone helps. I hadn’t really considered that it would. It makes sense that it would clear my head though.

PS. … Go Zags! Can you believe it?!

Erin @ The Speckled Palate
    February 25, 2013 at 3:01 pm

SO proud that you’ve made it this far and pushed through all the studying, even though this kind of studying while you’re working is quite challenging. You can do it! And it’s not too much longer at all… and then you can kick back and relax and take it easy! (My husband did this same thing last year. It’s tough, but you are nearly at the end! Push through! You’ve got this!)

March 2, 2013 at 11:09 am

Thank you, Erin! :) I really appreciate all of your encouragement throughout this process. It’s so nice to have people who understand what torture I’m going through.

Erin @ The Speckled Palate
        March 3, 2013 at 12:02 pm

You’re welcome! I know it’s tough… and it really IS torture, to some extent… but it’s over now, right? So proud that you pushed through and did what you had to do!

Paragon2Pieces
    February 25, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Good luck! You’ll do great. So excited for you to get past this hurdle and get to really, truly start exploring your new city.

March 2, 2013 at 11:10 am

Thank you so much, friend. Me too! Although it obviously doesn’t compare to yours.

Lawfrog
    February 25, 2013 at 7:05 pm

You can do it! God is with you and there has to be a certain amount of confidence knowing you’ve already passed the bar exam in one state. I’ve only had to take the exam once and thankfully passed it. I can’t imagine doing it twice, I admire you for it. I think the best thing to do is breathe. Just breathe. That is something we all forget to do under stress. Hang in there!

March 2, 2013 at 11:12 am

Thanks, friend! I tried to remember this! gah. It was torture. Don’t ever get the urge to take another one. It was a silly idea. haha

Ioana
    February 25, 2013 at 9:06 pm

i agree with Lawfrog. you ARE amazing and i too ADMIRE you. you rock! just imagine, coming 1st march, you will begin spring without the bar exam angst&burden ever present. celebrating spring in style :) you can do ALL things through & with Christ

March 2, 2013 at 11:13 am

Thanks, gorgeous! Yay for March!!

Ana
    February 26, 2013 at 3:00 pm

You’ve got this, Brittany! Thinking of and praying for you!

March 2, 2013 at 11:10 am