It’s OK to Not Be OK

Anxiety, confessions, Emotional, Jesus

If you were here yesterday you would have seen how I was a hot-freaking-mess. It’s true. I was exhausted, overwhelmed and sleep deprived.

I wrote this post at 9:58 PM while I finished cooking dinner in my kitchen.

I wrote this post sitting on my counter at 9:58 PM, while I finished cooking dinner. Not OK.

But you know what, that happens. That happens no matter what we’re going through. I worked 12 hours two days in a row and 10 hours on the third day. People GET that I’m tired.

Maybe your tired looks different. Maybe you’re sleep deprived because you studied all night. Maybe, like one of my in-real-life friends, you spent the night in the hospital while your poor little babe had seizures. Maybe you’re in desperate prayer for a friend or family member. Maybe you’re struggling with your own addiction and unsure what to do or where to go. Maybe you’re fighting a spiritual battle of epic proportions.

I went to a church when I lived in Big City called Central Christian. One of their main catch phrases was “it’s OK to Not Be OK.”

I heard it a couple times, and on my third visit there I had a panic attack in the middle of service. While standing in the hallway, trying to muster the courage and energy to head back in, I saw the sign. It was the first time it hit me – how hard I pretended to be OK.

I didn’t go back into service. I turned around and went to the prayer room and confessed my heart’s struggle to want everyone to think I was OK.

Maybe today your “prayer room” is the park next door, maybe it’s an empty class room on your university campus, maybe it’s under the covers with a flashlight in your bedroom while your spouse sleeps.

And maybe if you have an extra prayer you can pray for baby M and her parents and her doctors, that they’ll find a way to stop the seizures.

Rest for your Soul

But not matter what things look like right now, it’s OK to be a hot-freaking-mess, to be exhausted, overwhelmed and/or sleep deprived

Because, honestly, a bet most of us aren’t really OK.

And that, my friends, is when Jesus steps in.

A Royal Daughter

beforeverlovely
    March 28, 2013 at 11:38 am

Yes! Well said Brittany! :)

Megan - FireWifey
    March 28, 2013 at 11:41 am

I’m a hot freaking mess somedays too. I”m wishing I had a baby, but it isn’t happening. And yet my sister in law in pregnant. I’m not jealous, just frustrated. And then I got a letter from my other sis in law that helped me so so much. Sometimes the emotions hit me out of nowhere like a tsunami. Other days, like today, I’m resting in His peace. So. Be a mess. It’s cool. :)

curiouslysarah
    March 28, 2013 at 12:08 pm

What a lovely post. We all need to here it’s OK to just be from time to time.

Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

Erin
    March 28, 2013 at 5:19 pm

This is beautiful! Thanks for the reminder.

Eva Taylor (@snappeeturtle)
    March 29, 2013 at 7:10 am

We’re all a mess, and it IS okay…because it helps us recognize our need for Jesus…that we can’t do this life on our own! I love that you said “that’s when Jesus steps in.” Amen!
    Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment on my post yesterday!
    Eva @ Snappee Turtle

Deanna
    March 29, 2013 at 4:00 pm

We are a mess!! Life is a bigger mess!!! But Jesus, (those are powerful words!!!) He can help us to work through the messes. We just need to remember a few simple things. The easiest for you (and me) right now is that we MUST get rest. Getting tired or discouraged, leaves Satan room to enter in, and try to gain ground.

As for the other things….maybe I can soon work my own tired mind into a blog post. LOL (In other words, I lost my train of thought.)

Mackenzie
    March 31, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I love you Brittany. This is the truth – we can, and we should, come to Jesus exactly as we are. This was a blaring reminder to me, and I think this will encourage a lot of women.

Law_Fal
    March 31, 2013 at 6:36 pm

amen!

Holly
    May 7, 2015 at 3:39 am

Beautiful. This is 100% accurate for me right now and I needed to hear it. Thank you.

Also, listen to “Stained Glass Masquerade” by Casting Crowns–it’s one of my favorites but I heard it again the other day for the first time in forever and it fits so well with this topic!!!!

May 7, 2015 at 8:08 am

Ahh that’s a great song! I am so glad you found this post. It’s really nice to know we aren’t alone, isn’t it?