My Seattle Staycation – The Night Out

friendships, Relationships, Travel

Spaceneedle

Last weekend I went on a staycation. A great friend of mine from law school was in town with some other friends and I knew I couldn’t miss the chance to hang out. The problem? I live about 40 minutes from downtown Seattle. That made for either a not-super-fun night out, or a rushed afternoon. The obvious solution: a Seattle Staycation!

I didn’t spend a lot of time doing hotel research and just went with the hotel my friend was staying at because it sounded SO cool! She chose the Hotel Max. After checking out the website I knew it would be an awesome experience.

Seattle Staycation

The lobby was gorgeous and welcoming.  This cozy fireplace was perfect to relax next to while we checked in.

The hallways were eclectic. Every door had a photograph on it. I thought it was awesome. It was such a nice change from the standard white walls and ugly floral prints you see at a lot of chain hotels. Also, the beds were amazing. I did not want to get up on Saturday morning (although that was probably contributed to by the amount of alcohol we drank on Friday night…).

Hotel Max Seattle

On Friday night walked to dinner at that Yard House for some delicious food, yard-sized glasses of beer and a couple sake bombs a piece (I am the least hard core and drank a 9 oz cider before the sake bombs). Then we took a car to a bar in Ballard called King’s Hardware.

Even though it is a bit of a distance from the hotel it was a relatively inexpensive ride, and would have been even cheaper in a standard cab. (We used Uber. An app in bigger cities to take towncars, limos and SUVs. We were classing it up this weekend!) The bar was clearly a hot spot. We chose it because some people in the group wanted to play games. There was skeeball people, SKEEBALL. The line was too long so I never got to play, but I’m telling ya. These Seattle bars put Nevada to shame.

staycation fun

After King’s Hardware we decided it was time to “shake our booties.”  We took a car back to Seattle and stopped at See Sound Lounge. To be honest, I’m not really sure they intend for people to dance. But there was awesome lighting, a great bar, and a DJ. So we didn’t care.  After we’d gotten a sufficient amount of our groove on, we went outside for a street vendor hotdog (and by we I mean everyone but me). Then ventured over to the Frontier Room. We relaxed on the patio and people watched for awhile. People are VERY interesting at 1 in the morning!

There was a little too much relaxing because then we were all tired. We decided to head back to the hotel on foot. We got a little side tracked in another lounge for a bit (Suite 410) that I REALLY liked and had comfy seating that was perfect for conversing with a big group. At closing time we headed back out into the cold.

E is the Hotel, B is See Sound, C is Frontier and D is Suite 410. 1.2 miles round trip of pure fun.

PSA: There was a fabulous moment where I stopped watching where I walking and nearly fell on my face after getting my heel stuck in a grate. Ladies, make sure to watch where you’re walking in downtown seattle :).  From here, a nice gentleman gave me a piggy back ride, and we made it back to Hotel Max in one piece.

All in all it was an awesome night. Stay tuned for Seattle Staycation version Sight Seeing!

Have you ever gone on a staycation? What was it like?

itbritt
    March 25, 2013 at 9:57 am

I was excited to read this. I also live about 40 minutes from downtown seattle, and am always wondering if I should stay the night, or make the long drive home. I’m new here, and have no idea where to go, so thanks for the ideas!!

March 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

I am pretty new to the area too, so it was a great way to explore and get to see the city! I’d definitely recommend it. I wish we had stayed two nights.

Heather @ From Here to There
    March 25, 2013 at 7:32 pm

That sounds awesome! I’m glad you were able to enjoy a great staycation and now I would really love to actually take a vacation to Seattle, it’s actually one of my dream cities to live and work in eventually in life! :)

March 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Heather, I LOVE it here! You should definitely make it a travel priority :).

Vanisha's Life in...Australia
    March 26, 2013 at 3:12 am

I’m glad you’re treating yourself and having such a great time. We do staycations quite a bit too, you really see your usual place in a whole new light! One of my blog friends did this great post on planning staycations http://vanishaslife.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/how-to-plan-staycations.html

I smiled about your almost mishap – not because I thought it was funny or anything, but it just reminded me of when we were in DC and New York together. I remember Tim and Adam were always pulling me away from walking into posts or trees or people, because I never watch where I’m going!

March 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm

haha! I do remember that, Vanisha! How funny :).

I love that you guys take staycations, too. It’s amazing how a city changes when you look at it from a tourist point of view!

Megan - FireWifey
    March 27, 2013 at 10:12 am

That nice gentleman sure is a cute! :)

March 27, 2013 at 11:12 am

:) I kinda think so too! (and by kinda, I mean I super think so)

Kimberly Montgomery
    March 27, 2013 at 7:07 pm

When we lived in Redmond, we rented a hotel in Seattle for Bumbershoot. We stayed in the city the entire weekend and really enjoyed it. :)

Erika (@rougeandwhimsy)
    April 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm

you know if you wanted to dance, you should have stayed in ballard! there’s a bar called the matador which has dancing and in my opinion, is better than downtown areas (which can be sketchy.)
    i love that you went to king’s hardware… been there way too many times. If you’re ever looking for other Ballard suggestions, give me a holler. I live about 3 miles north of there. :)

April 14, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I will definitely keep you in mind!! We have a Matador down by my house, but there is definitely not dancing. I’m super jealous. Although… with how powerful their margaritas are, maybe it’s best for me that they don’t have a dance floor ;).

Going Local with the Influence Network - Where My Soul Belongs
    June 12, 2013 at 10:28 am

[…] could go on and on. But I’ll leave you with a few posts where I’ve already talked about my new life in the […]

Goodbye, Farewell, 2013.0 - Where My Soul Belongs
    January 2, 2014 at 4:35 am

[…] and a few of our/her friends headed to Seattle for vacation. I met up with them and had an awesome stay-cation with the boyfriend I told you about in […]