Pampering Yourself During Debt Repayment

Adventures, Debt Repayment
Cape Flattery, WA

Cape Flattery, WA

I haven’t written a ton about it here but I am on a super strict debt repayment plan right now. I’ve scheduled out credit card payments the day after I get each paycheck for the next few months. This is so I don’t have the opportunity (in theory) to slack on my debt. It is a lot harder that even I expected to justify going in an changing that monthly payment. Also, if I had to go in after every pay check and make a payment, I don’t think I’d always have the self discipline to make those payments at the amount I’ve pre-budgeted.

One thing I’ve learned thanks to being in credit card debt since I was 18, is that if I put every single penny toward credit cards, I would actually end up right back at square one. Paying off debt can lead to serious burn out, binging, then disappointment and discouragement for binging, then giving up and putting things on credit cards to feel like life is fun again.

So today I splurged and had a massage. I feel better all around because of it. It’s so easy to forget to take care of ourselves as we go through each day. So this post is my message to you:
PAMPER YOURSELF!

Even if you feel too busy or like you have too many responsibilities. You deserve at least an hour to treat yo’ self – whatever that looks like to you. If your budget is super tight (I know before this new job I couldn’t justify a massage) go for a relaxing, scenic walk; check out the museum in your neighborhood; have an extended coffee break in a local coffee shop… just take care of yourself. And if you ARE on a budget, check out your local library. Mine has free tickets to local museums that you can “check out” for a day or two. There are a lot of options if you’re paying down debt or working on saving to make sure that you aren’t doing so at the risk of your health. It’s OK to pamper yourself a little bit!

Rachael
    January 12, 2015 at 9:34 pm

I agree with this! Also I’m really proud of how you’ve kicked debt’s butt.. you’re a rockstar!

January 12, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Aww thanks, girlfriend! It isn’t easy but so worth it.

Whitney @ EHFAR
    January 13, 2015 at 12:44 am

I totally agree… Burnout and being discouraged is totally real. I hope and pray that all of my credit card debt will be gone by December of this year. What is more discouraging is that it could’ve already been paid off back in 2013, but I was dumb (the cards had been already closed out because I hadn’t used them in forever, but I didn’t put tons towards them like I could’ve). It is definitely something that depresses me and gets me down a lot.

January 13, 2015 at 7:19 am

I’ve felt this way too. But we have to look ahead and not behind. Imagine how happy we will be this time next year when they are paid off! It will feel so freeing. That’s what I try to focus on because it is so easy to look back on past money mistakes and lose sight of what we can do going forward!

February Progress and March Goals - Where My Soul Belongs
    March 6, 2016 at 8:42 am

[…] Myself a Reward – I’m starting to feel some serious debt repayment fatigue. It’s been awhile since I’ve given myself a reward, and debt repayment hit all time […]

Life Lately: Our Trip to Vegas - Where My Soul Belongs
    June 24, 2016 at 7:43 am

[…] that set me back a little on my debt payoff plan, but it was worth it. I am a believer that depriving yourself of all fun while paying off debt will only result in a relapse and binge spending. If you’re looking for a good deal on […]