5 Tips for Running your First Color Run

Adventures, Fitness, friendships

Before we get started today, don’t forget to enter to win The Tank Man’s Son and a $10 coffee shop gift card!
5 Tips for Running Your First Color Run Last weekend I participated in The Color Run, Shine Tour. Like many of you, I’m sure, I’ve seen tons of hype about this run. My friends who have participated in the past seemed to really love it. So back in February I registered for my first 5k, The Color Run, but it ended up being the 4th 5k I’d run this year.

I have had an aversion to getting dirty since childhood, so I wondered how I would feel covered in paint. Other than having to hold my breath through certain colors, and having to very carefully move and change so that I wouldn’t spread color all over my breakfast, car and entry way, I had an awesome time! Turns out, it was a total blast to have someone run up and shoot different colors all over me. haha

Thanks to the experience, I have some tips I wanted to share for anyone else running the Color Run for the fist time.

1. Practice Running – but be kind to yourself

My girlfriends and I ran the 5k. But by far, most of the participants walked it. There is no pressure to actually run the Color Run. I’d only say that if you are walking, make sure to stay to the right so that people who are running don’t have to dodge you and your friends.
5 Tips for Running your First Color Run

2. Bring a Friend

Like I said about The Great Inflatable Race, running a 5k with your friends is super fun and a great bonding experience. On the final hill to the finish line, my friend and I were reminding each other that we were awesome and we could keep running.

3. Leave Time to Enjoy the Shine Party!

The Color Run Definitely had the best sponsorships. There were TONS of booths giving out free snacks, waters and prizes. They had these new Kind Bars that were SO good. I bought two boxes at the grocery store yesterday.
5 Tips for Running Your First Color Run

4. Pack a Towel or Trashbag to Sit on in the Car

I brought a towel with me to the Color Run, and left it in my car. You will be dirty. Everywhere. Bringing a towel to a race is a good idea in general. I learned to bring a towel to races after The Great Inflatable Race’s surprise rain storm. You will not regret having one on hand after any 5k because you never know what could happen. After the race, a couple of us went to grab breakfast near the finish line. That restaurant had obviously learned the best way to handle the influx of Color Runners and had trash bags to put on every chair a Color Runner sat in. Then, they let us bring the bags back to our own cars so that we wouldn’t get our seats dirty. Genius! I used the bag rather than getting my towel dirty.
The Color Run

5. Have the Washing Machine Ready

I ran in my newer running shoes that I got after hurting my ankles in my first 5k. These are my exact shoes. I LOVE them. I might just order another pair of the exact same style because the ankle stabilization really did seem to help and they’re super cute.

After the second paint station I was really bummed that I wore my nice shoes. For some reason I only expected the top half of my body to get dirty. Instead, I had noticeable color everywhere except my face (but I’m sure a small layer was there because I had to wash my sunglasses too.) When I saw my pretty, new shoes covered in paint I was disappointed in myself for letting them get ruined.

Thankfully, they washed right out! When I got home I stood in my tiny entry way, stripped all of my clothes off, and threw everything, shoes included, into the washer with some laundry detergent and bleach. I don’t think I actually needed the bleach because even the white Color Run t-shirt came out bright as new! Well, everything except my black running pants (a risk I took when I added the bleach), which now have an orange, bleach splot design on one leg. I’m going to add some splots to the other side, and pretend they’re supposed to be that way. #noshame
5 Tips for Running Your First Color Run
Supposedly the color is non-toxic, which is good, because it worked its way through several layers of clothing, and a lenghty shower was necessary as well. I still had some color on my skin, but a second shower before bed got it all off and it was as if I never got dirty in the first place. 7-year-old, dirty adverse, Brittany was relieved. :)

I have clearly gotten addicted to 5ks since my New Year Goal of running a 5k was realized. Are you wondering what the hype is about running? Monica shares the perspective of several runners about why they run and how it makes them feel.

The best part about this run, though, is that it was The Shine Tour. What does that mean? It means the last blast of color was GLITTER. Regardless of how much I hated getting my hands dirty at 7 years old, I have been all about the sparkles my whole life.

Have you participated in The Color Run?? How about one of the similar runs that have popped up since it started? What did you think? Are there any tips I’ve missed?

Juliet
    August 17, 2015 at 7:18 am

Hi Brittany,
    what a cool post about color runs! I always wanted to participate in one, but I am so scared of breathing in all the colored powder :D I already struggled so much at Holi Festivals. Maybe I should try again though…
    Juliet recently posted…Four days in London on a budget

August 17, 2015 at 7:25 am

There were two color stations where I covered my face with my shirt. They have the color in bottles so it’s not TOO bad, but people were throwing the color in the air at the two where I covered my mouth. I think if you make sure you’re in one of the earlier heats, that’s less likely to happen. You should give it a shot! Thanks for stopping by :).

Juliet
        August 17, 2015 at 8:00 am

Well now that sounds significantly less scary to me, I should really try it :)
        Juliet recently posted…Four days in London on a budget

August 22, 2015 at 7:12 am

It was less scary than I expected :).

Emily
    August 17, 2015 at 9:13 am

I’ve always wanted to run one of these 5Ks! Thanks for sharing your journey (and cleanup tips)! :)
    Emily recently posted…5 Health Benefits of Watermelon

August 22, 2015 at 7:13 am

You’re welcome! Let me know if you end up joining one!

Marie
    August 17, 2015 at 9:15 am

Congrats on your first color run! These are so much fun! My first one, I took my oldest (then 4) and we had a blast. I think that these are some of the best runs for kids. Also, yes, yes, yes on the towel or trash bag for the car. Thankfully we had changes of clothes because we definitely didn’t think to bring any towels.
    Marie recently posted…Tips for Delicious Chicken Tacos

August 22, 2015 at 7:15 am

That’s so fun! My friend’s son loved it too! A change of clothes would also work, I didn’t even consider that!

annabelt
    August 17, 2015 at 6:38 pm

A couple of my friends have done these. I don’t like running but the colour part looks like fun!
    annabelt recently posted…Is Housework Exercise? Review of The Stepford Wives and Clairobics

August 22, 2015 at 7:16 am

It is fun! And you totally can just walk, a lot of people did.

Megan
    August 18, 2015 at 9:28 am

You’re just too cute! Love it! I still have yet to do a color run! Maybe someday!
    Megan recently posted…Christmas 2014

August 22, 2015 at 7:17 am

Awww, thanks, Meg! You should do one! It’s not great for your PR, but it’s fun!

How I Motivate Myself to Run on Weekends - Where My Soul Belongs
    April 18, 2016 at 6:54 am

[…] used to run exclusively on the treadmill so this was a very weird transition, but the more 5ks I ran, the more I actually hated running on a treadmill! Here’s the problem, there is absolutely […]

April Progress and May Goals - Where My Soul Belongs
    May 8, 2016 at 2:54 pm

[…] Work Out Three Times a Week I am LOVING this goal and do not want to give it up now. (Are you interested in starting Barre? Check out my list of must-haves for your first class. Or find my Tips for Running Your First Color Run.) […]

Are You Here From the Huffington Post? - Where My Soul Belongs
    May 12, 2016 at 4:11 am

[…] will find posts on Faith, Frugality (including debt repayment), Fitness and Work-Life Balance. I recently bought my first home and blogged through the home buying process […]

Angela
    May 21, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Great Tips! I have not done a Color Run yet, but would love to with my kids when they get a little older. Thank you for sharing at the Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up :-0

May Progress & June Goals - Where My Soul Belongs
    June 2, 2016 at 7:24 am

[…] Are you interested in starting Barre? Check out my list of must-haves for your first class. Or find my Tips for Running Your First Color Run. […]

June Progress & July Goals - Where My Soul Belongs