5 Tips for Cleaning Your First House: The Diary of a First Time Homeowner

Diary of a First Time Home Owner, How-To

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ScotchBriteSponges #CollectiveBias

I have lived on my own since I was 18 years old, always as a renter. During that time I moved about once a year. This meant that while I kept my house neat, I never really did a deep clean. By the time I would need to do so, I would just move into a new-to-me apartment that was just professionally cleaned! When I bought my first house my entire view on cleaning changed!

5 tips for cleaning your first house after a life of renting

I used to think you did a deep clean once a year. How wrong was I?! Now that I have bought my house I have noticed I clean all.the.time. I wanted to share five of my biggest cleaning tips for cleaning your first house after a life of renting.

1. Clean surfaces as you go

You want those countertops to last a LONG time, so you should treat them with care. Unfortunately I had left a coffee mug on the top part of my kitchen sink. It left a ring of residue on my stainless steel sink! I didn’t want my roommate to come home and see the ring (gross!). Luckily, because I kept my countertops clean all week, this was the only quick surface task I had to do, because I was in a big rush to get to a lovely wedding! By keeping your surfaces consistently clean, you don’t have to worry about stains or (if you have laminate countertops like me) warping.

Scotch-Brite® Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge

2. Treat Your Dishes With Respect, Especially the Ones that Save You Money

You guys know how much I love coffee. Because of this I own about 10 different tumblers. The problem with bringing my coffee to work every day is cleaning the inside of those tumblers! The Clean Curve Dishwand refills are PERFECT for this task. I was able to clean one of my favorite tumblers, without performing wrist acrobatics, while I was also rushing to get ready for a wedding! I love when companies come out with products that actually make life easier instead creating the same products over and over that make doing the dishes sweaty and gross on my nails.

5 tips for cleaning your first house after a life of renting

3. Use the Right Products

Speaking of making life easier, I have been a Scotch-Brite™ Brand user for basically my whole life. I remember my mom using Scotch-Brite sponges and dishwands while I still lived at home. I carried on that tradition into my own cleaning routines.  But the type of sponge you use is just as important as the brand!

You can find Scotch-Brite supplies at your local Target! You’ll find them in the cleaning supplies aisle. At my store, it was conveniently located by a price scanner. All of your sponge needs will be right before your eyes!

5 tips for cleaning your first house after a life of renting

I have a quick cheat sheet for you when you go to the store:

The green ones are the Scotch-Brite® Heavy Duty Scrub Sponges. These are perfect for the kitchen, but also tough surfaces like the stuff you bring camping after you unload it at home!

The blue ones are the Scotch-Brite® Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges. These are perfect for delicate surfaces and those non-stick pots and pans that your mom would never let you put in the dishwasher, as well as regular dishes and even windows!

And the Scotch-Brite® Non-Scratch Soap Dispensing Dishwand can use refill sponges of either color! Today, I bought the Heavy Duty Clean Curve sponges.

Bonus Tip: if you have the Cartwheel app on your phone, you can save 10% off the 9 Pack of Sponges as long as you shop between 08/28-09/03. PS. If you don’t have the Cartwheel App, download it now! It’s a huge money saver, and you know I’m all about saving money.

4. Expand Your Point of View

The most surprising things I find myself cleaning are the walls! With the Blue Scotch-Brite® Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge you can be sure to get the walls clean without scratching the paint! The most common areas that I find myself cleaning are the wall near where I store my trash and recycling cans. I store them in that little cove you can see under the coffee pot, and somehow there will be spaghetti sauce or drink splashes that I don’t notice as I toss them away.

Often times when I start this wall cleaning task, I notice dust or grime other places, and before I know it, I’m wiping down every corner of the walls and the backsplash! It’s so nice to know that I can keep even the walls of my home neat and clean without ruining them with a rough sponge!

5 tips for cleaning your first house after a life of renting

5. Celebrate Your Hard Work

You have cleaning your first home! You OWN your first home! This is amazing!

5 tips for cleaning your first house after a life of renting

I celebrated getting those dishes done by going on a date to a beautiful wedding with this handsome guy!

celebrate a clean house!

Do you need more cleaning inspiration before you tackle your next home-cleaning project?! Check out what other bloggers have had to say about cleaning their house with just the right tools. Then make sure to go celebrate your accomplishments!

What is your biggest cleaning tip or trick? I’d love to hear it in the comments!

Dishes, Laundry, and Love
    August 29, 2016 at 7:36 am

Will definitely have to try out some of these cleaning tips!

August 29, 2016 at 7:54 am

Good luck! Let me know how it goes :)

Rachel
    August 29, 2016 at 7:43 am

Great tips! I’m trying to be better about cleaning kitchen counters as I go. I love the Scotch-Brite brand!
    Rachel recently posted…Simple Ways to Pay it Forward

August 29, 2016 at 7:54 am

It was such a hard habit to create, and now I love it!

Amber
    August 29, 2016 at 8:29 am

I guess my tip would be to take things one room at a time. My mother, brother and I will be moving into a new house very soon, and I imagine the cleaning is going to take awhile. I’ll try to keep these cleaning tips in mind!

September 4, 2016 at 9:51 pm

This is great advice! Sometimes I put off cleaning just because it’s so overwhelming to clean the WHOLE house!

Susannah
    August 29, 2016 at 11:08 am

These are great tips! It’s so important to keep the house clean. Clean as you go and you don’t have to do as much!
    Susannah recently posted…Oneonta Gorge

Jojo
    August 29, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I have not cleaned my desk in a really long time .. My trick has always been to throw everything on the floor so that I have to pick it all up haha. The cleaning as you go tip is definitely true though.
    Jojo recently posted…The Lantern Fest (Promo Code)

September 4, 2016 at 9:54 pm

HAHA! I love that trick. It really leaves you no choice but to clean!

Polly
    August 29, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I also use scotch-brite sponges and really like how it makes cleaning dishes a lot easier. They seem to work better than a lot of other sponges I’ve tried!

Polly

Paige @ Live, Laugh, Budget
    August 29, 2016 at 7:20 pm

The dish wand is awesome! We have it at my office and it’s so easy to wash my Tupperware before I take it back to my desk. And we just bought our house four months ago, if we are home we are either sleeping or cleaning.

September 4, 2016 at 9:56 pm

My office only had a handheld sponge. I think I’ll have to bring a dishwand in after reading your comment. I bet it would make my tuperware washing so much easier!

Melanie
    August 29, 2016 at 8:08 pm

I love the cleaning the walls tip because I ALWAYS forget that I need to do it. I always like to listen to a podcast when I am cleaning. I feel like I am learning some/doing something fun while cleaning(something I hate).

September 4, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Ohh podcasts are awesome! I love them for my commute as well. They make difficult tasks so much easier :)

Rachael
    August 30, 2016 at 12:27 am

You look so pretty in the wedding pic! And seriously, sponges for the damn win! lol
    Rachael recently posted…23 While 23: Check In 2

valerie hansen
    August 30, 2016 at 8:12 am

Great cleaning tips and congrats on your new home purchase….it always feesl good to stop renting! Love your kitchen too!

Valerie
    Fashion and Travel

September 4, 2016 at 9:59 pm

It feels so good for sure! And thanks :). That backsplash made me fall in love with the house and after I replaced the flooring it popped even more!

Shannon
    August 30, 2016 at 9:58 am

Great tips!! Hmm… I’m supposed to clean the walls you say? Guess I need to try some of your suggestions.

September 4, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Apparently. I only recently realized they were important to clean! haha

August Progress & September Goals - Where My Soul Belongs
    September 4, 2016 at 5:18 pm

[…] made some progress on this, but I haven’t been able to commit to one yet. I tried a new style on a post this week, but I’ll keep trying them out for awhile […]

Our Road Trip Down to San Diego - Where My Soul Belongs
    September 19, 2016 at 3:22 am

[…] drive down started at 6 AM on Saturday, the morning after attending a beautiful wedding. We had planned to leave at 5 AM but the wedding was too much fun so we went to bed later than […]

Clean bright
    December 12, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Great tips ! i have go huge of idea about cleaning service . Thanks for excellent articles .
    Clean bright recently posted…Check Out My New Blog !