5 iPhone Apps I Use Every Day (That Aren’t Social Media)

How-To

One thing I’ve started working on lately is reducing my social media consumption. Some platforms are OK, but others have gotten to be so overwhelming or negative that I’ve had to start stepping away. I have a tendency to get sucked into a feed, and before I know it, an hour has gone by, or I’ve been awake for 40 minutes and I’m still under the covers, having accomplished nothing.

As it turns out, there are a lot of other awesome things our phones can do besides scroll Facebook and Twitter! Today I wanted to share the 5 iPhone Apps that I use every day, that aren’t social media.

5 iPhone Apps I Use Every Day that Aren't Social Media: Take a break from facebook and twitter with these apps.

Calm

website // app store

I’m new to meditating. I began using Calm as part of my Miracle Morning routine, rather than sitting in unguided silence. I was hoping that actual meditation would help relieve some of my generalized anxiety and make flying easier. This app has made mediating much less intimidating! I’m still able to make use of the free sessions for now. I’m going to try Headspace as well before I make a decision whether or not to sign up for premium. But so far, I’m loving Calm!

Township

website // app store

OK. This is a little embarrassing. But around the fall I was super stressed at work and in my personal life. One day, I searched the app store for highly reviewed games and downloaded like five of them. Most were duds. However, Township tells me that I’ve opened it every single day for over 100 days. That’s ridiculous. But the game is SO FUN!

It’s like a combination of Farmville and Sim City Build It. You have a town with farms, houses, grocery stores and livestock. There are several different challenges to meet each week, and there’s a social aspect if you join a “co-op.” I don’t think I’ve ever played a mobile game for as long as I’ve played Township! If you’re looking for a silly game to distract you for a few minutes, check it out.

Podcasts

already on your phone

I’ve been a Podcast fanatic for a few years now. I wrote earlier this week about the top five new to me podcasts that I think you’ll love! I’ve been thinking about switching to a different app to listen to them. The apple app doesn’t do playlists well. You can add episodes to “up next,” but I’ve noticed that it doesn’t reliably remember the order. Every so often I google tips on which apps are best for Podcasts, but I’ve yet to bite the bullet and make the switch.

Do you have any suggestions? For now, I’ll stick with the app that comes with all of our iPhones to feed my podcast addiction!

Spotify

website // app store

I listen to Spotify basically all day at work, unless someone comes in and has questions or wants to discuss something. J bought me an awesome speaker for my desk for Christmas, which has made listening to music at work even better! I love that you can play your own playlists, listen to a genre’s radio, a radio based on a certain artist, and even a radio based on a certain song. Because I have the paid version, I can also download music to listen to when I’m offline, like if we’re camping or on a plane.

Mint

website // app store

I keep track of almost everything in Mint. It’s where I go to make sure that I’m not overspending in my checking account, all of my bills are paid and watch for my snowball payments to clear. It’s also the only way I check on my IRAs. I get the statements in the mail, but I don’t look too closely at them. Mint tells me with the click of a button how they have gone up or down overnight! It’s addicting to watch and I feel so much more in line with my goals when I can see my net income right at the top of the screen. It’s easy to decide I don’t need to buy a new car when I see the positive value of my current car, and the negative value of my student loans all at the same time!

I know there are some other financial apps out there, but Mint has been so seamless that I couldn’t imagine using anything else!

What are your top non-social-media apps?? Why do you like them so much?

Stephanie
    February 23, 2017 at 4:22 am

I love Township! I wish they made it easier to find people to add as friends!

Liz Jo
    February 23, 2017 at 7:40 am

Mint is great for budgeting. It’s such a goodapp. The calm app sounds like a good app I’ll have to check it out.

Danielle @ Follow My Gut
    February 23, 2017 at 9:40 am

I love spotify sooooo much. It’s my fave music player and it has some great comedy shows too. I’m getting into meditation so calm sounds like something I should really check out. Thanks for these!

Danielle | FollowMyGut.com <3

Crystal // Dreams, etc.
    February 23, 2017 at 10:26 am

I recently downloaded the Calm app, but have yet to use it. I need to do that! I agree about the Podcasts app that comes with the phone. I’ve been using Overcast for awhile and enjoy it.
    Crystal // Dreams, etc. recently posted…3 Must-Have Beauty Products

Kari
    February 23, 2017 at 10:27 am

Township sounds really interesting! I’m also a big fan of spotify. Quite the list you have there!
    Kari recently posted…Netflix and Chill for Minimalists: “Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things”

Charlotte
    February 23, 2017 at 11:05 am

WHAT? PHONES DO OTHER THINGS BESIDES FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!? Nu uh :) I love this!! Thanks so much for sharing, because I seriously am always on the lookout for other ways of killing time if I’m on line or waiting in an office or something. Good to know there are other things I can play with instead (that farm game sounds like fun!).

PS: I use Mint and it is amazing!

LaVonne
    February 23, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Ok, I love posts like this because I inevitably learn about new apps. I have not heard of Mint or Township so now I am checking both out. I still play Candy Crush almost daily. I love that game.
    LaVonne recently posted…Dr. Seuss on Netflix Plus Crafts, Food Ideas and More!

Nora Spaulding
    February 23, 2017 at 1:49 pm

I am obsessed with not only Calm but TOWNSHIP! I play it daily. It’s super fun and actually entertaining. I don’t like recommending game because most think it’s a waste of time but it’s my favorite self care thing to do. It’s really fun! Add me as a neighbor if you’d like.

Divya
    February 23, 2017 at 2:43 pm

I’ve got Podcasts and Spotify down! I also use my Weight Watchers app pretty often! But that could also be considered social media because there’s a “Connect” feature on it that I like to scroll through!

Kusum
    February 23, 2017 at 8:14 pm

I just went ahead and downloaded the Calm app, thanks to you! Definitely need more peace and quite in my life, before the baby haha! And I am sure going to check out your podcast recommendations soon, thanks for sharing!

xx, Kusum | http://www.sveeteskapes.com
    Kusum recently posted…Pantone Color Of The Year | Green Maxi Chiffon Dress

Polly
    February 23, 2017 at 10:35 pm

I like Pandora a lot. I’ve never tried Spotify but have heard great things about it!
    Polly recently posted…Coffee Talk: Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

Sharon
    February 24, 2017 at 2:30 am

Love Spotify and Podcasts! Right now, I have the La La Land soundtrack on repeat. It’s so great! I usually listen to Podasts on the way home, though. It helps me stay calm in traffic haha. My favorite one is Criminal because it’s short and sweet. Have you heard of it?

Angie Scheie
    February 24, 2017 at 11:43 am

I’ll have to try Calm!! I think it would help me get more intentional with my meditation/devotion time. I’m loving podcasts lately too. Great post!
    Angie Scheie recently posted…Say It With Chocolate – A Day of Friendship & Luxury

Leo Tat
    March 18, 2017 at 3:05 pm

I meditate on most days using the brain.fm app on the iPhone. Its uses monaural beats with on the spot generated sounds to stop the brain getting used to it. I’ll have to try calm.

Not tried township, but I’m playing Star Wars Force Arena. It’s a pickup and put down game which I like.
    Leo Tat recently posted…13 Foods to Eat While You’re Pregnant

March 19, 2017 at 9:06 am

I just heard about Brain.fm for the first time last week! It sounds really interesting.