Enjoying Laundry {2/31 Days to Enjoy Life)

#31Days, Debt Repayment

apartment

Part of my dining room and living room on moving day.

I live in a really old apartment building. So old, in fact, that it’s called “vintage.” I LOVE it. It has great character, original hardwood floors and an incredible view.

But you know what people didn’t have in 1908? Appliances. Of course I have a couple modern touches like a refrigerator and a stove circa 1990, but I do not have a dishwasher or washer and dryer.

I spend about $10 a month on the washers and dryers in my apartment building basement. Sometimes it’s a little more, but at least once a month I say hello to my bank teller and buy a roll of quarters. I also hoard quarters like you wouldn’t believe. It’s a pain.

I try to think positive like at least I don’t have to go to a laundro-mat, or at least I have clothes to wash. But sometimes it’s just annoying.

That’s where this weekend came in. On Thursday night one of my bosses and his wife asked if I could house sit for them. She thought I could hang out, watch TV, get a change of scenery and do laundry. As you may know, my TV is new to me, but not new to the world and I use an antenna. It totally doesn’t compare to NFL Sunday Ticket and a TV with decent color! So I took the offer.

On Saturday I did laundry one load at a time, in a new washer built to clean clothes well. Every 40 minutes I went upstairs, switched the clothes over and folded them back into my hamper. It was glorious.

I don’t necessarily mind laundry but I used to be the biggest culprit of putting clothes in the machines and forgetting all about them. I would complain about how long it took to finish laundry one load at a time. I would huff about folding and hanging it up – or else I’d just toss it in a hamper and take my (wrinkled) clothes out of there every day.

But this weekend… this weekend I was able to enjoy it. It was exciting (well, as exciting as laundry could be) to start a washer without giving it $1.50. It was exciting to switch the clothes over and really see that they were clean, even though the buzzer woke me up from a nap. I actually enjoyed folding the laundry and putting it in the hamper to take home.

Yes it took a few hours, but I watched a lot of college football, took a brief catnap and worked on this blog in the process. Once I learned to stop taking the ability to laundry at “home” for “free” for granted, I was able to actually enjoy the process.

And compared to how they had to wash clothes in 1908 when my apartment was built, this was a breeze!

31 days 250x250 photo 5eabe9d2-70c2-45ad-8670-98b3818ec230_zpsf76744ff.jpg

October Posts Sponsored By:
 photo jacad_space_600v80_zps02234c34.jpg

Amanda
    October 1, 2013 at 7:42 am

I am so in love with those floors! I think it’s such a good practice to figure out how to enjoy or be grateful for tasks that annoy you. I’m going to go hang up my clothes with a smile :)

October 2, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Aren’t the floors amazing?! They had me at hello.

Stephanie A. Orefice
    October 1, 2013 at 9:51 am

yes! when i lived in california we had an apartment laundry room and i didn’t know anyone whose house i could do laundry at, like my roommates… so when i’d visit family in san francisco i’d hoard laundry for WEEKS so i could do it at their house. and i remember being so grateful and eager to finish the laundry. i thought, “when i move back home i’ll remember this and always be thankful for a washer and dryer in my house”…. yeah that never happened. funny how much more we can enjoy things when they are not easily accessible to us.

October 2, 2013 at 12:18 pm

There are totally times I’ve hoarded weeks of clothes and then done like $15 in laundry in one afternoon. It’s kind of like getting all new clothes!

Meghan
    October 1, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Totally guilty of doing the whole “doing” laundry by just putting it in the washer and dryer and not actually folding it and putting it away. Loving this series so far!

October 2, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I’m glad you like it :). It’s just so easy to throw the clothes in there and forget about them – unless you know it will be a huge inconvenience to someone else, or they might get stolen. haha

Allie
    October 1, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I just moved back to my parent’s house, but only after my 1 year lease was up on an apartment that you guessed it.. didn’t have a washer or dryer. AND they didn’t even have like laundry facilities on site. So I usually would wear ALL THE CLOTHES I had and then do laundry on the weekends I went home to my parents. I told you all of this to ask, why don’t washer and dryers that the public use take dollar bills? I mean HELLO it’s 2013. This quarter business is cray cray!

October 2, 2013 at 12:17 pm

How nice of your parents to let you use their laundry room! I’ve only lived near my parents for about a year post-college and I, thankfully, had a washer and dryer then. Whew!

I don’t understand it either! There are a couple laundro-mats near my apartment that have a card system where you load money onto a card and then swipe that. But that’s as close as I’ve seen.