How I Enjoyed my 21st Birthday Link-up! {10/31 Days to Enjoy Life}

#31Days, friendships

31 days 250x250 photo 5eabe9d2-70c2-45ad-8670-98b3818ec230_zpsf76744ff.jpg

Confession… I have stage fright. If you don’t believe me, you can ask Juliette because I texted her about it before I started writing this post.

A couple weeks ago Rachael had her 21st birthday, and needless to say, it was epic. A few of us (AdrianaAllie, me, Juliette and Sami)  began a trip down memory lane, and decided to take you all along with us!

Feelin' 21 Link Up

So why do I have stage fright? I know mine doesn’t compare! On my 21st birthday I had big plans. HUGE PLANS. I wanted to go to my favorite restaurant for my first real alcoholic beverage… CHILI’S. True story.

So go to Chili’s I did. Back then they had a steak for like $10 so my ex-bf and I would go there, class things up with A-1, and devour a tray of chips and salsa (OK so the chips and salsa were just me, and if I could spend my 28th birthday doing that, I’d still be stoked). We went there with some frequency and never ordered alcohol. Apparently my very obvious excitement in ordering showed the waiter it really was my 21st birthday.

He didn’t card me!

I had been waiting so long to drink in a restaurant and he didn’t even card me?! I couldn’t believe it!

I decided that didn’t matter, and enjoyed my strawberry daiquiri. I drank the whole thing and thought it was totally delicious. I also was a total lightweight back then and recall thinking speed bumps were the most bizarre and hilarious thing ever.

Promptly thereafter, I changed into PJs and went to bed.

That’s it. That’s my 21st birthday.

But clearly, I had to correct the fact that I wasn’t carded. What was the point of being legal if no one was going to make sure you were legal?? I corrected this error by going to Albertsons on Year 21, day 2. I bought Green Apple Smirnoff Ice, which I knew I liked. Don’t worry about how…

Except I didn’t buy Smirnoff Ice. I bought Smirnoff. Like the vodka. I took it home and showed my boyfriend my excited, legally carded, purchase. He told me “Drink it. See what happens.” I said, “uhh I know this is delicious and I’m going to love it!”

What did I do? I took a swig. A swig straight out of a bottle of straight vodka. OWWW!!!!!

And that, my friends, is when I learned the difference between malt beverages and hard alcohol.

I’ve come a long way since then. When I was 22 I had my first (real and intentional) shot of alcohol.

First ShotA few months later I got drunk for the very first time. I swear my drinking stories get more interesting from there. And now, sometimes I drink out of the bottle on purpose (like when I don’t want to get a cup dirty while camping).

Ready to share your 21st Memories?? Grab a button and link up with us:

October Posts Sponsored By:
 photo jacad_space_600v80_zps02234c34.jpg

Sam @ Reddy Or Knot
    October 9, 2013 at 5:22 am

I can totally see how green apple smirnoff would be confusing! What a horrible switch though! Ugh it reminds me of accidentally taking a drink out of a water bottle and it being filled with vodka instead of water….oh college!

October 12, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Thanks for understanding! I cannot even IMAGINE what it would be like to expect water and get vodka. Oh my goodness gracious.

bybreenah
    October 9, 2013 at 5:45 am

Everybody showed up before me to the second place we went to and were talking about me being 21 so the waitress almost didn’t card me. We made her do it for a picture (that I didn’t post because nobody looks good in it).
    Which reminds me, the day before my 17th birthday I was bored at 10pm and went to Wal-Mart and decided to buy a movie. Rated R, of course, and the lady wouldn’t let me buy it. It was less than two hours til I could legally buy it. I go back the next day to get it and do I get carded? Nope.

October 12, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Carded for a movie!?!? WOW! That’s so intense! Maybe she should teach the bartenders who didn’t card so many of us the importance of age verification! haha

Val
    October 9, 2013 at 7:25 am

I love how you mixed the two up! I would have spit it out everywhere if I had done that!

October 12, 2013 at 11:21 pm

The problem with flavored vodka is it tastes good… until it suddenly just tastes like vodka. I didn’t realize my error until it was too late. Oops!

Jen H (@twsrblog)
    October 9, 2013 at 8:18 am

I did the Smirnoff switcheroo too! SO NOT the same thing!!

October 12, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Whew! You have no idea how much better this makes me feel!

Juliette
    October 9, 2013 at 9:16 am

STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOTTLE?? How did you not puke???

October 12, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Because I had one gulp and never drank out of there again! OUCH

Faith Bowyer Photography
    October 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

Hahaha! I didn’t get carded on my actual birthday, either. Oh, the shame.

October 12, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Who ARE all these lazy bartenders and waiters?!

Sami
    October 9, 2013 at 11:06 am

Vodka out of the bottle?! Oh my gosh that gives me the chills to think about haha. I went to buy a Four Loko on my 21st and the liquor store didn’t card me and I was like HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME.. because I’m dramatic and stuff.

October 12, 2013 at 11:20 pm

haha I’m glad I’m not the only one! I never had the real Four Loko before they changed it to make it safer. I feel like I missed out.

Allie
    October 9, 2013 at 5:51 pm

OMG I would die if I drank straight vodka out of the bottle! Holy crap, my throat is burning just thinking about it.

October 12, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I can still feel the burn when I remember it!