Slow Down

Adventures, Relationships, singleness, Writing

Something I’m terrible at is slowing down. If I have plans, I get really anxious to start them immediately. If you follow me on instagram you’ve probably figured out I have a boyfriend. I haven’t had a boyfriend in a really long time. As a result I’ve gotten completely used to living my life in both the geographic and time constraints I want to live it. I haven’t had to compromise or discuss my day with anyone in so long that I kind of forgot it’s a part of being in a relationship.

This morning we had plans to go to a coffee shop together and “be productive.” Today, for me, that meant writing here in this space that I have accidentally neglected since March 13th. Last week it meant working on a big trial I had coming up (that thankfully is now over).

I planned to go to coffee around 10 AM (for the record, I’m not sure I shared this with him, I think I just thought it in my head and assumed that was how the day would go). Around that time we were just eating breakfast, which he graciously (and deliciously) cooked to share with me. At 11:45 I found the nicest way possible to ask, “Are we ever going to coffee or are we just doing nothing all day?” aka, “Hey, are you ready to leave yet?”

And maybe 15 minutes later, we left.

Guess what, guys? We got to coffee at noon. We sat down in an adorable coffee shop, pulled out our computers, and chatted while we got to work.

It was fine. I survived, he survived, the coffee shop was still standing, life did not implode.

Coffee Shop
In my rush to get to work I almost missed an incredibly peaceful morning. I almost missed letting him serve me in a sweet way for a meal I normally skip because “I don’t have time for it.” It only occurred to me once we sat down that there was absolutely no reason I had to stop living life just to get to work.

latte art

Coffee was even in a relaxing “drink here” mug, which I never order for myself even if I know I’m going to be staying.

I’m going to try to let this relaxed outlook on life be a good example for me. I was so slammed this month I didn’t feel like I could breathe for the first time until March 19th. That’s not OK. It’s not healthy. And it’s not honoring God, myself or anyone around me who I only gave one-half of my attention because I was so worried about a to-do list at work that is three pages long.

As we go through this Lenten Season and enter into spring, let’s slow down. I think it’s the right move, even if I have to be oddly intentional about it.

And PS. Maybe one day I’ll figure out this girlfriend thing again.

Breenah
    March 24, 2014 at 6:23 am

If nothing else, I’m glad that he’s helping you slow down a little bit! And it’s good you’re realizing that you need to. Although, I am slightly jealous of your fancy, pretty coffee.

Heidi
    March 24, 2014 at 6:58 am

Slowing down has been a HUGE thing for me for the past several months. I’m so used to always being on the go. After I quit teaching, suddenly I had evenings free again and it took a while for me to realize that I didn’t HAVE to do anything and that that was ok. My husband and I spent almost a month in Australia this past September. The lifestyle there is definitely about living life and not getting wrapped up in the other stuff that often causes us to forget to live. It was a huge wake up call for us and so since we’ve returned, we’ve tried really hard to continue living that lifestyle that we adopted for that month. I hope you’re able to find that balance and that it becomes a natural thing at some point– we all need to slow down even when we think that we can’t.

Rachael
    March 24, 2014 at 7:29 am

BOYFRIEND.
    And yes, I need to slow down too. You always know the words to my soul. I just love you.

Megan - FireWifey
    March 24, 2014 at 11:51 am

Good job girl. I need to work on slowing down too. This weekend was definitely that for me! Even though it was rushed (as in we left Friday am and got back Saturday night), it was relaxed. And wonderful.

Dianna Merkley
    March 24, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I like your thoughts it is important to honor God in all that you do and he does have place for us we need to be able to see it and believe it and let him in. Feeling blue today I don’t accomplish much at times wish I was doing more. Then I realized everything takes time and place. Thanks it lifted my spirit it was how it was said that may keep someone on there toes another day. Dianna

Amanda
    March 24, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I am in a really slow season. Work is busy, but life is slow – if that makes sense. It is not my default setting but I’ve really come to value it! (and look! I read a blog!) :)

My Life As...
    March 24, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I’ve been single for so long that I’m afraid of that too. I dated a guy for awhile but I haven’t been in a serious relationship for years…I’ve definitely gotten used to doing my own thing whenever, wherever.